Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Significant Kisses

I am a big supporter for gay marriage and gay rights. Actually, I'm just a big supporter of people living their lives to the fullest without societal or cultural restraints. When I saw the article on Marine Brandon Morgan's kiss with his partner, Dalan, I thought it was beautiful. And strangely, it wasn't because it was two gay dudes sticking it to society. I actually never saw their sexual orientation. I saw them as two human beings who love and missed each other.

Let's be real. Brandon was deployed 3 times over four years during their relationship. That's rough no matter if your gay or not. He could've been killed any one of those times. Now that he's home for good, you bet your sweet bippy he's gonna show his partner how much he missed him. It would be no different if my husband had done the same. Hell, we kiss each like that when I've only just gone to the market.

I often find myself floored when I hear someone make the insensitive, almost immature commentary that "it's gross" or "nasty" for two guys to kiss, yet be perfectly fine with women doing it. Really, folks? Really? It's two thousand freaking twelve, get over yourselves. We're adults (some of us) and human (some of us). Either dislike the same sex kissing thing as a whole or don't. Either way, there's nothing wrong with it.

Nowadays, you are bound to have at least a couple of gay friends, and they will have significant others who they are going to smooch around you. Are you going to stare wide-eyed and appall? Are you going to ha-rumph about it? No. You'll probably bristle and try to look away. I usually get sappy and romantic about it, personally, but what do you expect from a romance writer? To me, if someone means that much to you and you want to show some PDA. DO IT!

Life is too short to dwell on propriety. In this day of posting and sharing, this is what's happening. Maybe one day two gay dudes smooching on a dock somewhere will no longer be news. It'll  be just another day to celebrate love. I'm looking forward to it.

Pray for me y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment